1 D Cell battery
1 Toilet paper tube
2 Thick rubber bands
2 Pieces of foil
2 1-foot long wires with washers
Long strips of newspaper
2. Put the wrapped battery into the center of the tube.
3. Mark the tube clearly with + and -signs to match those on the battery.
4. Gently crumple a piece of foil and put it in the tube on top of the battery.
5. CAREFULLY push a nail through the tube as close as possible to the foil. Use a pencil point if necessary to make holes.
6. Turn the tube upside down and repeat steps 4 and 5. Both nails should stick out of the sides of the tube in the same direction.
7. Put a rubber band over the 2 nails on each side. These rubber bands should be tight enough to pull the nails toward each other.
8. Attach one wire to each nail by wrapping the bare wire end tightly around the nail.